PAST CONTINUOUS 1

The Thompson family. What were they doing on Sunday at 7 o’clock? Mr. Thompson was cooking (cook) dinner in the kitchen. Mrs. Thompson was cleaning (clean) their car in front of their house. Jack and Eve were sitting (sit) in the hall near the fireplace. Jack, their 11 years old son, was reading (read) Shakespeare’s sonnets. Eve, at the age of 16, was playing (play) with Barbies. Their grandma and grandpa were having (have) a good time. Their grandma was exercising (exercise) in the gym. Their grandpa was ironing (iron) shirts and socks in the living room. They also had two pets. And do you know what they were doing (do)? Spot, the puppy, was catching (catch) mice in the garden. And Kitty, the little cute kitten, was fighting (fight) with neighbour’s dog.

Put the verbs into the correct form (past progressive). 2

When I phoned my friends, they (play) were playing monopoly. Yesterday at six I (prepare) was preparing dinner. The kids (play) were playing in the garden when it suddenly began to rain. I (practice) was practicing the guitar when he came home. We (not / cycle) weren’t cycling all day. While Aaron (work) was working in his room, his friends (swim) were swimming in the pool. I tried to tell them the truth but they (listen / not) weren’t listening. What (you / do) were you doing yesterday? Most of the time we (sit) were sitting in the park.